Monday, January 31, 2011

Random

It's been awhile. I make no apologies. Between work, my little guy, my big guy and my crossfit addiction, I'm spread pretty thin these days.

But as I was sitting in an incredibly boring meeting the other day, I started thinking to myself what if I could go back in time and give myself some advice? What would I say?

So I pulled out my blackberry, ignored the meeting going on around me and wrote this bit of advice to my junior in college self...

_________

You probably don't believe that it's me giving you advice. It's not bad to be skeptical. They teach a whole course on that in law school. But just to prove it's really me, I'm going to tell you something no one else knows.

You got a D+ in nutrition.

Stupid move, kiddo. I know you hated the TA because she kept calling you "Jaime Robyn" even after you asked her to stop. But she paid you back, didn't she?

now...on to the advice:

Don't listen to your mother. Your grades are fine. You'll pass the LSAT. And you will get into law school.

So listen to dad. Have more fun!

In so many ways, I wish I could save you the heartache that will come later this year. You've already met him and are well on your way to being head over heels... You won't listen to your friends, or your family, when they tell you (repeatedly) that you deserve more.

Believe it or not, a Garth Brooks song will bring you to your senses. You'll break up with him. Then things will get ugly. But the pain and fear will fade. It will show you who your true friends are. Take their help. Their support. You can't do this one yourself, wonder woman.

In the end, it will show you what you want, what you deserve, from a relationship. Hard as it will seem at the time, you are strong enough to get through it. It will help define you, so don't let it destroy you.

Oh. Elections are coming up soon! You'll tie Erica for president of the sorority. Julie will choose her. She'll realize her mistake too late. You can do great things as VP. It may even be worth the headache.

Jeff isn't the one, though because of him you'll be ready to love again when you find him. Trust your instincts and follow your heart. Say I love you when the time is right. You'll see. The moment is hard to miss.

Good luck, kid.

__________

Yeah... a little random and disjointed. But how do you really go back in time and tell yourself everything you want to?

So if you had the chance, what moment would you go back to and what would you say?

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice little snapshot into your past...so what sorority were you in?

Brian Miller said...

and i would def go back to college...err...a few things i might skip this time around...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Don't even have to think about it! I would tell that insecure 15 year old that she did not have to marry him just because she lost her virginity! I would tell her that she did not need a marriage to define herself, that there was so much more to life. But, since she was me, she would not have listened. The innocence and arrogance of youth!!

Red Shoes said...

So... do you think that if we got those letters that the 'older' us would write... that the "younger" us would listen??

~shoes~

Ms. Salti said...

Man, I really needed to read that letter... kind of felt like you were writing it to me instead of a younger you. Very creative post, I like it!

Jan @ Struck by Serendipity said...

All great advice.

I would advise myself not to take things so seriously...friends, relationships, everything! I was so stuck in the moment growing up that I missed out of some fun times.

Anonymous said...

I love this kind of post. Very interesting to read. A little insight into your college life. I'd definitely go back and change a bunch of things in my life. Maybe even back to high school.....telling myself to study harder, then go to college (instead of university) straight out of high school, and to ace organic chemistry so that I could become a pharmacist and enjoy my work!

Liz Mays said...

I'm so stubborn and strong-willed that I would never listen to a letter from myself, even if I knew it was from myself. ;)

Unknown said...

I would definitely go AWAY to college and havebthat whole experience. Then my life would be so different.

Jaime said...

Brian: Every so often, I actually talk about myself... It's a rare occurrence but it happens. I was in ZTA

Brian: You keep holding out on these stories... I'm sure the statute of limitations has expired by now.

Kathy: I don't think I would listen to myself either. I wouldn't be me if I did...

Shoes: HELL NO

Ms S: aww. forget about the jerk. you really are better off.

jan: that's pretty good advice too

SB: hopefully you find something soon that you do enjoy. though all that vacation time you get must be nice!

BV: i'd still be skeptical that this advice was from me... even with the little tidbit about my worst grade i ever received in school.

amy: it's definitely a completely different experience. i applied to one school in jersey to make my mom happy. SO glad rutgers didn't accept me! MD was close enough to home, thank you very much.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Apology accepted...I mean, who am I to complain!

Rachaell said...

I still read your blog occasionally although I rarely comment. I love this post, especially because I was there for most of it! Aww. I am not sure what I would tell my college self. Answering that question requires more introspection than I am up to today.

Jaime said...

VE: hey stranger. good to see you're still around. have you been hiding out on the beach with a fruity umbrella drink in your hand?

Rach: yup. you were a big part of most of this. good to see you're still around, even if you're mostly lurking. you know i'm a comment whore... :P