It's been a week. I've been walking on egg shells at work, afraid that if I stepped one toe out of line, my boss' wrath would rain down on me. Again.
I was saddled with an impossible assignment. I knew going in there was no law to answer his question. I also knew that answer wouldn't be good enough. I've spent over 30 hours trying to locate something that doesn't exist. I've read cases from across the country, law journal articles from little dinky law schools in the middle of nowhere. And the answer to the question is...there is no answer.
So I trudged down to the corner office with my six page memo, ready to have my head handed to me because I couldn't make the law be something it wasn't. He peppered me with questions about my research. I fired back answers.
He smiled.
I may not have found the answer, but I satisfied him with the depth and thoroughness of my research. I left his office feeling exhausted, but like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. I hadn't been joking when I left the house telling hubby "wish me luck. I hope I still have a job at the end of the day."
I left the office early, hitting the gym and finding myself more energized than I've felt in weeks. My face lit up as much as Andrew's when I picked him up tonight. For the first time in a long time, I left the office at the office and could devote my full and undivided attention to my family.
The line between personal and professional is so thin and so blurred these days. But as I look down at the little guy snoring away in my arms, I'm happy. At peace. And I breathe easy knowing these are the moments that truly matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I'm glad to hear your day ended well. Sometimes I feel like I need to apologize for having my own personal life. I mean really, how could I be so selfish?? Ha
I wish you luck,you need it!Again you are brave to pull up with all this.And yes the moment you describe is truely the best and most important.
Now that is a post that I am HAPPY to read! You put a lot of pressure on yourself, though!
Although you don't post regularly, I regularly follow your posts.
And from what I've read, you are a thorough and meticulous attorney. That, I admire.
From one who takes pride in his work, I see that you do too.
Congrats on... not finding the answer, but finding yourself tonight? I don't think I could have made it.
PS- 6 page memo?? No. 6 page saga, maybe.
:)
You are a hell of a lawyer!
Jaime . . take it easy. It took me a long time to not put up with recriminations from people who were just rude or arrogant. You sound like you're dedicated to your job, a promising young lawyer and sometimes between a rock and a hard place and a little boy's snort brings you back into the real world. It's a man's world but not for much longer! Make sure you keep the balance because once you get to my age, you might regret that you didn't or rejoice that you did.
Thanks for commenting on my blog. Yes, I agree with you that our lives (family & work) get in the way of blogging.
I see you have a LOT of work at your job.
Me too.
But a smile on a small child's face puts everything back into perspective...blog or no blog.
I'm so glad you were able to leave work at work and BREATHE! Even though you didn't find the answers, you did due diligence, and that's what matters.
I absolutely adore your last sentence. :)
It's hard to keep it all in perspective but somehow our kids help us do just that.
I think I held my breath until I read that it went alright. When (if) things at work go bad, don't forget to come back to your blog and re-read this. Good job.
Post a Comment