Going out with kids is a gamble. Sometimes you roll the dice and come out the big winner. Other times, you roll snake eyes and completely crap out.
Tonight was one of those nights... Andrew started screaming the moment we sat down at the table. Hubby and I looked at each other before we ordered, a silent "holy shit! this could be a disaster - do we just leave now?" running through both our minds. But we decided to tempt fate and ordered.
What a fucking nightmare.
There is nothing worse than being "that mom" with "that kid" who won't stop crying.
The entire restaurant was staring at us. Half the room (the half who were parents) looked on with empathy, secretly grateful that it was our kid misbehaving, not theirs. And the rest of the room stared at us like we needed to put a muzzle on our kid. I literally had an entire table of angry women (10 of them, yes I counted) GLARING at me every time Andrew really started howling.
I know what they were thinking. Hell, before I had Andrew, I thought it myself about the moms struggling with their screaming babies. Why the hell can't she keep her kid quiet? What kind of a mom lets her kid behave like that in public? Can't you shut that kid up! I can't even hear myself think!
Half of me wanted to melt into the booth from embarrassment. The rest of me wanted to yell over to those women, "Just because my son is having a bad day does NOT make me a bad mom!" In the end, hubby grabbed the check and asked for our meals (which had not yet been served) to be brought out in to-go containers. I took Andrew's hand and marched past the bitches to the exist.
I'll admit I was pissed. It was probably Andrew's worst showing in a VERY long time. But I love my son. Crabby moments and all.
So I scooped Andrew up in a big bear hug and planted a noisy kiss on his cheek. He laughed at me, suddenly all smiles. We ran together through the parking lot, arms wrapped around each other, getting absolutely soaked in the monsoon that started the second we stepped outside.
We laughed and sang the entire way home, which took WAY longer than it should have thanks to the idiot in front of me who refused to go faster than 30 and swerved wildly all over the road every time I tried to pass him. But in the end, we had a great dinner together...just not exactly how we originally intended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
it is what you make of the moments--while I have no children, I have witnessed my niece and nephews in meltdown mode --it is not rational nor pretty...you and hubby handled it brilliantly and all's well-cheers-c
amazing the power of a noisy kiss...lol. at least you survived and kept your cool.
hmmm..maybe all your kiddo needy was a noisy kiss from you. hehehehe. One day I too will have a kid who will probably throw tantrums in public. Kudos to mommy's who are so patient with their kids, embarrassing tantrum moments and all. =)
Perhaps next time you might try taking him out of the restaurant and sitting in the car and telling him you'll return once he has recovered. Of course, this advice is dependent on the origin of his angst. If he's over tired, over-stimulated,etc., he may not be able to calm down. If he's just being difficult, it should work. I don't know how old your son is but he sounds little.
Funny story about another little kid:
http://lifeinthesecondhalf.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-do-you-not-laugh.html
Glad you found that a big sloppy kiss could fix anything. I hope it stays that way!
And no one wants to be "that mom" with "that kid" but we have seriously seen people who could CARE LESS if they disturb everyone in the restaurant. We are all for the quick exit strategy too.
Ha ha, a noisy distraction to sort the day!
I've been in your shoes. And so have my parents which is probably why I got what I deserved when it happened to me. I don't blame you for taking the food to go. And a big smacker is the perfect remedy in a situation like that.
Personally, I think restaurants of any 'calibre' are really not the place for littlies unless you can give them some pencils and paper to doodle away with during the wait for a meal.
We used to take ours out to a local restaurant that's quite posh when they were little but would arrive very early and be gone by the time the serious child-free diners arrived. Although I must admit, mine were about 3 and 5 before they went anywhere other than Macdonalds. Five years of Maccas and I was ready for a real meal!
There will be time for nice meals together in nice restaurants when he's a little older. For now, you're stuck with playgrounds and fast food!
One thing about kids is you never know how they are going to act from one minute to the next. My grandson (3) can go from smiling and laughing one minute to crying the next. What you and your husband did is something my husband and I did with our kids and will do with our grandson! It's just the easiest and best thing to do for everyone!
Post a Comment