This week's theme is RED. So how could I not spin a vampire tale? I teamed up with Otin for this story, which is not part of my normal vampire series since someone threatened to kill off my vampire... Anyway, Part 1 appears here on my blog. When you're done, head over to Otin's for part 2.
_____
The room was dark, lit only by a few flickering candles. Their small table was in the very back of the room, where they would never be overheard. Two goblets rested on the table, filled to the brim with dark red liquid.
They each had different reasons for being here. For wanting revenge against a common enemy. Hatred rolled off them in intense black waves, the feelings so strong their mood was palpable.
She closed her eyes and saw the events clearly, the nightmare once again playing through her mind. Julie had been a girl that everyone envied. She was a rare beauty and talent. Though she was married to one of Hollywood's elite, she was rich and famous in her own right.
Then she met him. He was so different. Not the typical LA bore with the fake tan and abs sculpted by surgery rather than hard work, only interested in what you could do for his career. She was drawn to him in a way she could never explain.
Such a fool. She thought he loved her. Instead, he plunged his fangs into her neck, nearly draining her dry. Then he bit into his arm, pressing the bleeding flesh against her mouth. He held her head firmly in place until she had no choice but to part her lips.
The taste... She'd never forget that taste. A heady elixir, smoky and woodsy and at that moment, just what she needed. She drank him in greedily with deep, urgent swallows. His essence filled her and she felt his power coursing through her veins.
He pushed her away cruelly and took flight, leaving her terrified and alone. It was a mere hour before dawn and, while she couldn't understand what was happening, she knew she had to find shelter from the sun. She could never return home. Could never again be a part of her past life.
Through the blood tie they shared, she could still sense him. Felt him taunting her. She knew every time he took another innocent. She had to stop him...
Robert watched Julie from across the table. Her eyes were closed, but a dark shadow had crossed her angelic face. She never shared her reasons for meeting him, nor had he divulged his reasons to her.
His family had been destroyed by the same vampire that turned Julie. He came home early from work that day to find the front door not only unlocked but wide open. His heart thundered in his chest as he climbed the steps three at a time. Robert found the vampire leaning over his wife. The vamp let the body fall to the floor. His white shirt streaked with red from his feeding frenzy.
The vampire stalked toward him. "Please," Robert begged. Without his family, what did he have to live for? He wanted to die by the vampire's hand, just like his wife and children. The vampire laughed wickedly. As he passed Robert, the vampire slashed Robert's wrists with his claws.
Robert fell to the floor, dragging himself to his wife. He wrapped his arms around her, prayed for death to claim him quickly so they could be together again. Robert lay bleeding on the floor for hours. But death never came. His wounds healed. He rose, larger and stronger than ever.
The vampire's blood had been on those claws, mixing with Robert's, leaving him not quite vampire and not quite human. He had fangs and claws, but did not need blood and darkness to survive. A deadly hybrid mix.
Robert and Julie stared at each other across the table for a moment. They raised their goblets to each other. "There will be blood shed tonight," she whispered. Both drained the contents of their glasses and stood.
Julie strapped a harness around her shoulders, filled with silver blades and wooden stakes. Robert slipped an extra pistol into his boot. The bullets were special - silver and dipped in holy water.
Their jet black eyes flared and fangs grew in preparation for the hunt. The blood of their maker still flowed through them, calling them home. And this time when they met the vampire, they would be prepared.
_________
Now go visit Otin for the end of this story...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

39 comments:
I love the way you opened this, Jaime. You've got the passion and violence intertwined and it makes for a sexy, haunting read. Excellent!
Jaime writes a hell of a story! I love her writing!
Hmm, I like when blueviolet talks sexy! :)
You both did a great job! Thanks for entertaining me this evening.
Hugs!!
Green-Eyed Momster
Great opening... fabulous writing :0) Off to Otin now...
Does there have to be an ending? This could have just been a beginning to many parts.
I am off to Otin's to sadly read the ending with my fingers crossed that there will not be one.
And who threatened to kill off your vampire? I did not know that anyone owned vampires. Now I am gonna go curl up in a corner and cry. Please, please write a book starring your vampire.
God bless.
You guys need to get a copy editor involved and release these stories as series - jump in it!!
I'm with Midtown Girl, this is really great! You inspire the rest of us!
you guys make a good combo.
great opener jaime! you have just the way of seeting the mood with your words...
Ooooh! Chilling and intriguing all wrapped up in one neat package! Nicely done, Jaime! I'm off to read Otin's contribution. ;)
ooh, a hybrid mix? Fascinating.
Enjoyed this. Infact, just been watching some old Hammer Dracula films. Got me in the mood :-)
You'll find mine here.
Hi. I came from Otin's to read part one. Hooked me from the start. Nice to meet you and now I'm off to read Otin's...
I just came back from reading Otin's half of this before making my comment.
Two very different styles of writing. Jaime with the female approach of romance and passion, and Otin with the sex and violence. What a combination!
WOW! Cool story! Heading to Otins for the rest.
Glad it is daylight here! Going to finish this at Otin's.......
This is awesome Jamie!!! I am a pretty new follower and I am enjoying reading your blog!!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOODNESSS..
More more more more
Wow! You've got me hooked, Jaime! Now on to Otin's for the big finish!
Yowzer! I'm lusting to be bit! I'm going to be walking around all day literally sticking my neck out, hoping for a good looking vampire to sink his fangs in my neck. Although my chances of that happening here in this retirement park are zero to none! LOL!
You guys are an awesome duo. Well done!
Freak! A hybrid huh?? Off to visit Otin!
Love the teaming up for a good story!
Good start! Heading back over to Otin's where I visited from for the conclusion.
okay! on to Otin!
Sweet! Nice collaboration!
"Could never again be a part of her past life" and a hybrid vampyre? Way cool! Off to read otin's part. You two rock!
definitely got my blood going.... great teamwork - don't we surprised if hollywood comes a knocking!
Great combined efforts!
Jaime - intriguing part one - now on to part two!
Wonderful. Fills one with terror but still lures one to the flame
What great imagery you have here! You gave such strong visual descriptions..now must read part two...
omygosh, so good! Need to go read the second half!
oh, of course this theme was perfect for your vampire stories...yikes...ok....going to Otins for the finale! :)
Whoa, I think I need a cigarette after that! WOW, great start to the story and a great post to meet you with.
I'm here from Otin's but I'll be back again soon.
Thanks,
jj
Ha. I read this in reverse. Already read Otin's an good to have the "prequel" so to speak. I was wondering if someone might do something on vampires. Good team work.
Suspicously convenient theme for you, eh? What's next weeks... coffin? But that's ok cause I like the stories!
oh my my I think we have thing going on here Mrs...can't look away in spite of the fangs and the blood ..do tell--great post-c
this really gets the "in-betweenness" that makes vampires so fascinating
great stuff
Interesting story with twists I didn't expect. Here from Otins.
Post a Comment