Sunday, March 28, 2010

Balance

I miss law school.

I know that sounds kind of strange. But I actually enjoyed it. For me, law school was more about self-inflicted torture rather than the pain of the classes the school imposed.

I wasn't one of the people who got so insane about studying that I locked myself away in the library until it closed. I didn't study all night long. I rarely cared if I got an A as opposed to the B I could get without busting my ass.

I was one of those people who hung out in the back of the class playing classroom bingo. (We created bingo cards with common things you'd see or hear during the course of a normally pretty boring con law class. Like boxes was "Regan wanting to be called on so badly he stands up waiving his hands in the air" or "Amanda makes kissy faces at her boyfriend" or a less frequently observed "Prof trips and falls.")

I showed movies on my laptop. Action was best but sometimes we put on subtitles so you could read along with movies that required actual words. The professors did get a little suspicious when people who normally sat in the front of the room moved to the suddenly jam packed last row... But as long as they didn't scream at a particularly graphic war scene, they let us get away with it.

For three years, I worked hard but I worked at the things I wanted to work at... I talked the school into entering the only criminal law moot court competition in the country so I could be one of the participants. I represented clients in the clinics. My friend and I founded the school's law review.

Like I said...it was self-inflicted torture.

We always knew how to have fun. When the studying got to be too much, we hit a movie. Or we grabbed a drink at my favorite bar. It used to be the old jail and they still had the old jail cells. Drinking in a jail cell just seemed fun...and naughty... We rolled kegs into the cafeteria a couple times a year and the whole school would drink together. Including the dean.

No matter how hard we worked, we always played harder. The balance was important to keep us sane. But somehow, the further removed from law school we've gotten, the balance has become more than a little skewed.

Between work and family, there's little time left over for much else. This weekend, it was so nice to just escape for a few hours. Head into the city. Just be with hubby, while my dad watched Andrew.

We're always saying how we need to do that more often... Remember the lessons we learned in law school. Not the ones about books or the law. The real lessons about ourselves and life...

Balance...

I'm still trying to teach myself that one...

15 comments:

Liz Mays said...

If you don't have balance, you don't have happiness. I'm glad you got away, Jaime, and I hope you do it more often! :)

Green-Eyed Momster said...

It can be so hard to juggle all the duties of a working mom.

Balance is something I strive for on a daily basis. If the days were just a couple of hours longer, I'm sure I could eventually find it and catch up on the laundry.......

Big hugs!!

JenJen said...

Balance...oh how I wish I had some. Seems like I'm either top heavy or bottom heavy these days.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Balance is so important and not so easy to accomplish. I am still working on it!

Ms. Salti said...

I love this post! I'm glad you guys had a nice little escape. I miss school occasionally... it seems like when you're a student, you can get away with so much more. Then real life happens and reality sets in... and things start to suck!

Red Shoes said...

Wow... what a GREAT post!!! I concur!! As much time as we spend on Finance and Economics... or Risk Management... we make sure to spend time on "lfe topics'... whatever they may be... Life isnt all work... it isnt all serious...

Granted, maybe I should have taken some things life more seriously than I have... but I haven't turned out too bad...

I'm a popular prof on campus... the students like me... I was Prof of the Year the year before last in the College of Business... so I obviously balance fun with serious stuff... after all... once we go into 'industry'... when we lose our sense of humor... we lose our ability to relate and live...

~shoes~

Matty said...

Well said Jaime. And part of the reason I haven't blogged in what seems like forever.

Auri said...

That's the nature of balance... a constant act of restraint vs. gluttony. That's great that your dad was able to watch the little man... I need a date night with my hubs!

Candice said...

Sounds like you had fun, and that's exactly the way it should be.

I had an absolute blast in nursing school. I've got pictures to prove it. ;)

Baino said...

You were lucky. I hated University and really never became totally immersed in varsity life. As for balance, indeed, everyone needs it. I hope you managed to get some fine dining in without the toddler tantys! I certainly know how hard it is to juggle children, work and life . .did it on my own for many many years!

Ed & Jeanne said...

I'd like to balance a million dollars in each hand...

Brian Miller said...

yeah, my 3 day break was all about balance...a precarious thing that...

Mike said...

Nice that you had some time alone with the hubby. Life can really get you into a rut sometimes. Maybe as Andrew gets older you can have more extended times like those.

Little Ms Blogger said...

For the longest time, I was an all or nothing girl. Now, I'm learning.

I actually schedule things so I keep myself in check. You might want to think of doing something like your trip into the city every 3 or 4 months -- start slow and then add in date nights and you time.

It's hard, but it can be done.

Jan @ Struck by Serendipity said...

Ahhh, yes. Balance is always a challenge.

No matter how you frame it, I think you're crazy for looking at the piles of work law school brings in a positive light! :) I can't wait to be done studying for my exams!