Thursday, March 26, 2009

Theme Thursday: The Writer's Block Edition


It's time for another Theme Thursday. This week's theme is "mineral." I'm out of time to figure out what I want to say and I still have no clue what I'm going to write about.

In college, we had to take 1 lab science and 1 non-lab science as requirements for graduation. I thought about taking "Gems and Gemstones" as my non-lab. Mom didn't think that was much of a "science course" and I figured I already learned all I needed to about gems from my grandpa. (In a moment of pure stupidity, I took nutrition instead. It was the only D I ever earned. Shhh... Don't tell my folks. They still think I got a C.)

My grandpa was a jeweler. Now it's just something he dabbles in as a hobby. I'd go to his house and spend hours looking at his books of crystals, rare gems and, of course, diamonds. He always had a few stones laying around his workshop and, if I asked real nicely, I got to play with them.

Grandpa loves to see his girls in sparkly pieces he fashioned himself. He'd slave over making the most beautiful rings, bracelets and necklaces for special occasions. He designed my engagement ring, picked out all the stones, and harassed every contact he has in the diamond district until the thing was perfect. When I was in the hospital after the baby was born, hubby presented me with another grandpa original - a bracelet made with the same stones as my engagement ring.

I learned a long time ago that right before I saw him, I had to make sure my jewlery - his beautiful work- really shone. Last month, even though he was in the hospital, even though he was so exhausted and sick he could barely speak, he shook his head and told me it was "disgraceful" how dirty my necklace was.

That's my grandpa. Hugs and kisses hello. Then the sparkle factor inspection. I love it...



And, of course, I really love him.

12 comments:

Mrsupole said...

Grandpa's are the best. I can still remember mine. Well the one that was still alive. One passed away before I was born, so I never ever met him. I sure do hope that someday our grandkids write about us the way you did your grandpa. And to have him make you jewelry, something you can pass on down through the family generations is so special. You are a lucky girl.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! And hope your Grandfather is doing okay. It isstrange what one can think of, when in hospital, isn't it? And quite the hobby! Thanks for sharing this :)

Wings1295 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wings1295 said...

Nice post. Never knew my grandfathers, both died before I was born. My best to your's! Great post.

(sorry about the deleted comment, I need to spell check myself more often!)

Candie said...

This really nice :)

Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely post tying the mineral theme to your grandpa!

Dakota Bear said...

Very nice post. what a special treat having your Grandfather design your ring.

Megan said...

Now that is a cool story. Just the two words 'grandpa' and 'workshop' pretty much set the tone for me.

I didn't see much blockage here?

:)

Reyjr said...

a jeweler! cool. my granpas were a mechanic/driver and a farmer/mechanic/driver. lol.

but i love them just as much. haha!

Kris McCracken said...

I'd be crap as a jeweller. Too fiddly.

CocoDivaDog said...

Red,
What a heart-touching story about your Grandpa. I hope he is feeling better.

You have lots of good memories about your grandpa.

What a "gem".

tony said...

You Can see The Sparkle In His Eyes