Thursday, May 14, 2009

oops!

I feel like I just wrote a post on this topic. Oh wait. I did. So now I need to come up with another oops moment or two...

In law school, being on the hot seat was torture. Most of the time, you never knew when your turn was coming or how long it would last. Of course, that was intention so you would do all the reading every night. I spent most of my contracts classes sitting in the back of the room, half listening to the lecture and doing the reading for the next day's class. It was three-quarters of the way through the semester and Joe (the prof) had yet to call on me. Since he also had my father as a student, I think he was afraid of what might come out of my mouth if I actually spoke in class.

So I'm hanging out in the back reading, completely ignoring the discussion going on around me and then I hear Joe say, "Okay. Tap the person on your right." (This was his standard - he'd work his way down the row, telling us to tap the person next up) Then I feel an elbow in my ribs.

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I had no idea what case we were on. "Where the hell are we?" I whispered frantically as I flipped back through the pages of my text book. I used all the usual stalls. "I'm sorry Joe. I didn't hear your question." flip, flip, flip. "Can you please rephrase that?" flip, flip, flip.

Finally I found the case as he said, "Okay, Jaime. Give us the facts of the case." FACTS! I can do facts! I confidently scanned down the page to where I had clearly marked the pertinent facts in the margin. DAMN IT! It was the one case I didn't read the night before. Flustered, beet red, I looked up at him sheepishly and quietly said the one word you NEVER wanted to utter in class "Pass." Joe grinned wickedly, giving me the "I FINALLY got you!" look before turning to his next victim.

Oops!

By second semester, everyone had laptops. It was great. We invented new ways to goof off in class. Hubby and I took turns showing movies on our screens. The professor couldn't figure out why so many people had moved to the back row of the classroom. Until that day when we were showing "The Patriot." Do you remember the scene where the cannonball bounced around the ground until I knocked off some poor guy's leg? Well, it caused the entire back row to gasp really loudly. We were busted. That was the last time we watched movies in civil procedure class...

Oops!

The computers came in handy when our friends were on the hot seat. We'd IM the answers to each other whenever anyone was stumped. We didn't mind helping but the one rule was you had to be subtle or they'd shut us down. One idiot wasn't too subtle about it. "Hold on, Hugh. They're giving me the answer! I have to put on my glasses so I can read the IMs though!" DUMMY! They shut off the wireless access to the room shortly after that.

Oops!

During our federal courts class, we were discussing a highly significant, controversial case...about porn...We were discussing the intricacies of the legal implications of porn being sent across state lines and into a federal prison. (Maybe you've heard of the case...the mags took the cons' money and didn't deliver the goods. The inmates sued because they wanted their girls) So we're all involved in this conversation when the room is flooded with the sounds of cheesy 80s porn music. "Uh...oops! Sorry. I don't know how to turn the sound off" someone wailed from the back of the room.

Yeah...Oops!

But my favorite was my property professor, Matt. He made no secret of the fact that he liked men...no, loved men...no, worshiped everything about the male form. So for the first 2 weeks of class, he would only call on guys so he could check out the fresh meat. (His words, not mine). I'm in the back of the room playing classmate bingo when I hear him call on "Mr. A." I had stopped listening at the Mister.

But people were staring at me. Marc was still pacing the front of the room, eager to check out the elusive Mr. A. "Mr. Jaime A" (Jaime, pronounced like the Spanish male version of my name)

Just great. Not only was I being called on, but my prof had decided I was male and worthy of being checked out. So I raise my hand and in my most sarcastic voice say, "It's Jaime, Matt."

He turns, stunned, and says "And it's not Mister, is it"

It took all my self control not to blurt out "What was your first clue? The long hair? The skirt? Or the boobs?" I think what actually came out of my mouth was more along the lines of "Sorry to disappoint, but no."

He was so embarrassed that he moved on immediately to the next person. To this day, he refuses to call anyone Mr. or Ms.

OOPS!


For more oops moments, check out the other Theme Thursday participants.

25 comments:

C.M. Jackson said...

agggghhhhh! so much stress..it sounds like Paper Chase (I think that was the show) when all the poor law students were being tortured..I think one must have to have a special gene to be a lawyer..kudos to you even with the oops..I was an english major and ended up in real estate...great post! Given the new technology, perhaps you should consider writing a law school screenplay--the dynamic and motivation is vastly different.

best c

Mike said...

Boy, you put alot more work into your oops than I did for mine! I could have probably dug up a good oops tale, but I wasn't as motivated. LMAO!

Beth said...

Oops is putting it lightly! Several of these stories might be worthy of a word bigger than oops!

Great stories though!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

thanks for the insider's view .....

law school definitely is a oops goldmine!

Brian Miller said...

oh my. funny stuff, getting busted in class. happy TT

Mrsupole said...

Those stories were so funny.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

God bless.

Candie said...

LOL,yeah the last one is really good!:)

Valerie said...

AWESOME! Haha these had me laughing so hard!

Yea my hubby is an Aggie. The ring is a homing beacon. We actually had our dinner paid for when we got engaged because an old ag saw my husband's aggie ring! crazy!!

Love your blog!

What kind of law do you practice?

Wings1295 said...

Hahaha - That was quite a post! Thanks for sharing!

Optimistic Pessimist said...

Ha ha...loves your law school stories!

Anonymous said...

If only we had laptops in school! I was uasually the first one finshed in history class, so would pass my answers round whils the instructor was turned away. Tho' ( heh, heh, heh ), I never got caught. Great oops! story Jamie :)

Leah said...

Actually, this makes law school sound like so much fun!

Wonderful post.

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

Great oops moments. Passing notes in class have gone a long way since computers.

Ronda Laveen said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun along with all of the work. Great Oops moments. Thanks, Mr. A. Still LOL. You are such a spoiler.

Ms. Salti said...

Those stories are too funny! Thanks for making me giggle!

Dot-Com said...

If only there had been laptops with internet connections in the class rooms when I was in uni. Would have made it so much easier to take a nap down the back of the class :-)

Roy said...

Jeez! Look what I missed out on going to college waaayyyy before the personal computer era! Although I've heard about that trick with IM'ing (and now tweeting) the answers to a classmate under the spotlight.

Tom said...

lawyers must hear a lot of 'oops'...good college memories.

My expressions LIVE said...

Wow...and I thought firefighters were bad....lol...loved the post! xoxoxox

Midtown Girl said...

That was a great post, I felt like I was in law school with ya!

What a dumb move by that Hugh guy - not cool!

Sandra Leigh said...

Jaime, you have had way too many oops moments for one so young. Not that that's a bad thing - they're very funny.

The Silver Fox said...

Wow, lots of good stuff here! (I'm still playing TT catch-up from yesterday.) Very cool post!

Jan @ Struck by Serendipity said...

Those are all so awesome!! :) Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing the stories.

There were so many classes that I wish I had had a laptop to pass the time. The kind of classes where you only show up in case there are participation marks. When I finally had a laptop for my last semesters those were the classes where I actually had to pay attention.

And for any professors reading, you should not ban laptops because often times I would look up things that professors were talking about to get a more indepth perspective.

GreenJello said...

Bwahahahaha! I totally would have blurted out the "boobs" line. :)